Thursday, 9 April 2015

Selecting Problem


Reflections:


I have to say, this is the most difficult thing to do. *Hands up in the air* I know I am definitely making a rookie mistake by selecting a broad topic. My passion has always been autism. And children. I always naively desired to make a grand gesture to address problems regarding autism.

Best and Kahn (2003) states:
"Those who are more experienced know that research is often tedious, painfully slow, and rarely spectacular"
"Research makes its contribution to human welfare by countless small addition to knowledge."
"Researcher has some of the characteristics of the ant, which will brings its single grain of sand to the anthill"

I know I want to cover autism. There's abundant materials to read, and so many angles to choose from.
80% chance this is going to be a qualitative research. 20% chance it's going to be a mixed mode.
It is impossible to choose those special needs kids to be my respondent.
Finding teacher who is teach autistic kids are plausible.
This 'whatever' autistic topic has to be feasible to management side of education.
Dilemma. Dilemma.

This is what I have in mind so far. (working progress):
I want to find put how autism kids blend in in inclusive school.
How are they doing socially?
Level of perceptions of their neuro-typical peers?
How's the teacher handling them?
What strategies the teacher use to aid autism kids?
What strategies the teacher use to prompt neuro-typical kids?
Is there 'disturbance' or 'bully' in the classroom?
were teacher aid provided by the parents?
To what extend they contributed to the teaching session?
Teacher's readiness?
Teacher willingness?
Are the teacher's trained to handle autism children? Self funded? LADAP?

Oh no!
I might be in trouble.
So much to choose from.

Dilemma. Dilemma.









This is Dr.Aziah's guide to help a rookie like me narrow down the research problem.
What is the research problem?
Note: (a) Be as deductive as you can. (b) Relate your research problem to a theory. A theory is an explanation of events or phenomena or behaviour. Phenomena in education - theories from cognitive psychology, sociology, psycholinguistics, management...etc
What is the background? What to read in order to justify?
(a) government policies
(b) institutional report / strategic plan
(c) research report
(d) press report / speeches


What to research? : A purpose is the major intent / objective of the study.



(a) Purpose
(b) Context
(c) Scope







No comments:

Post a Comment