Monday, 15 June 2015

Qualitative Research : Achieving Trustworthy

Hello again.

It's time for one more quickie entry.

Actually I want to write this for my future reference. In case I somehow forget, I can always go back to this blog and reread about it here. While doing Blendspace research, I have stumbled upon this precious article: 






This article is basically jammed packed with all the goodness info about Case Study methodology. And there's three specific themes I wanted to highlight in this entry:

A) BINDING THE CASE STUDY.
Why do researcher want to bind their case study? According to Yin (2003) and Stake (1995), this process will hinder the case study being too broad or having too many objectives. They suggested placing boundaries to prevent the "explosion".
How do we do that? These researcher has some recommendations:
  • Cresswell (2003) : by binding time and place.
  • Stake (1995): by binding time and activity.
  • Miles and Huberman (1994): by binding definition and context.

B) REPORTING CASE STUDY.
In the same article, they've reported that Yin (2003) enlisted 6 methods of reporting case study:

  1. Linear
  2. Comparative
  3. Chronological
  4. Theory building
  5. Suspense
  6. Unsequenced 
For those who are keen to pursuit their research in qualitative approach, be sure to buy this book. 


It has been cited over 90,000 times!!!



C) ACHIEVING TRUSTWORTHY.


  1. Ensure enough details is provided so reader can assess validity and credentials of the work.
  2. Use triangulation when analyzing.
  3. As data collected and analyzed, researcher also may want to integrate "member checking process". The researcher's interpretations shown to the participants so that they can have the opportunity to discuss and clarify the interpretations made by the researcher. This maybe will lead to additional perspectives that may also benefit the research.

Okies. Done.

Cheerios!
:D




No comments:

Post a Comment